Tuesday, October 5, 2010

what I'm doing here.

A bit about me to start, I guess.

I am 25, a third year law student, living in my fourth state, recovering from depression, anorexia, and bulimia, a volunteer at a medical clinic for the uninsured, an avid reader, a former dancer and re-starting runner, addicted to the internet, and seeking to live a healthy -- and more importantly, balanced -- life.

That last one is the impetus for creating this blog, but it doesn't mean those other things won't be coming up.  I want to chronicle my efforts toward living in a way that makes me feel fulfilled and energetic.  I figure some of that will be universal, and some of it will be...well, idiosyncratic.

Here's what you won't be seeing here:

  • Many numbers.  I don't weigh myself.  Right now, my metabolism is still trying to figure out whether I'm going to be giving my body fuel on a regular basis, so I'm at a weight that's higher than I've ever been in my life.  Apparently, 5+ years of disordered eating will do that, and the only way to convince my metabolism things are going to be different from now on is to keep eating normally, exercising, and not falling back into old destructive habits.  And numbers tend to fuel my habits.  So no pounds or calories here.
  • Blow by blow of my meals or workouts.  In my introductory travels around the healthy living blogging world (and in reading the MC-gate fallout), I've noticed that with some people this is a "thing." I think it's boring.  And while it may be helpful, healthy, and inspiring to some people, it's unhealthy for me.  That's not to say that I won't talk about food, meals, or workouts.  But I want those things to be part of my life, not all of it.
Here's what you will see:
  • How I'm succeeding (and struggling) in living a healthy, full life, and what I find works (and doesn't work) for me.
  • My thoughts on balanced living, body image and eating disorder recovery, and becoming a "grown-up."
  • Tidbits from around the series of tubes.
  • Ephemera -- books I'm reading, TV I'm watching (and since I started law school, I watch a lot of it!), and general weirdness.

No comments:

Post a Comment